100 years ago, on Easter Sunday,16th April 1922, the Sandbach War Memorial was unveiled and dedicated.
On Saturday 16th April at 3pm there was a re-dedication organised by the Royal British Legion using the same service as that used in 1922.
According to the Crewe Chronicle of April 22nd 1922, the dedication took place on the afternoon of Easter Sunday, April 16th. Originally there were plans for Scotch Common to be turned into a memorial garden but this turned out to be too expensive. Instead, £900 was raised through voluntary contributions for a 25 foot octagonal Eleanor Cross made of Portland stone with the names of the fallen on the eight panels. Hundreds of people attended the unveiling by Lieutenant-Colonel John Kennedy of the Black Watch whose family were from Brookside Hall in Arclid. The memorial was dedicated by the vicar of St Mary’s Church, the Rev. J. H. Armitstead and boys of the Holmes Chapel Training School (formerly Bradwall Reformatory School) sounded the ‘Last Post’ from the tower of St Mary’s Church.